Thursday, September 3, 2009

Interview with Chef Ana Borrajo



Cafe: Sapna Cafe
by Jonathan McNamara in Chow Bella



Chow Bella: What does Sapna mean? 
Ana Borrajo: I was living in India, and it was a nickname that they gave to me. It means 'dream'.


CB: Are you a big dreamer? 
AB: (laughter) Actually I just found out lately that's what it means. I thought it was a girl's name.


CB: Your food is pretty global, what inspires you? 
AB: I'm basically a traveler at heart. I'll usually work around the clock for four months, many many hours and then I will just travel the world for eight months, and then start again. My father's sister was a great cook and I was always watching. When I travel I want to eat! The food is the best part. When I travel, I don't want to be with the tourists, I want to be with the people. In Calcutta, I worked with a vendor for a week. He kept asking "Why are you working for free?", and it's because I want to learn.


CB: You're not going to leave in four months to travel again, are you? 
AB: (laughter) No, no, I'll be here with the restaurant.


CB: How did you end up in Phoenix
AB: I was living in Sweden at the time, and I hated the cold. I met a guy and he was from here. I thought the desert was always hot so I moved. But I found out the winters here are very cold! My first winter I was like a tourist in t-shirts and shorts. But this time I was all bundled up and freezing!


CB: That's when you know you are really a Phoenician - when the winters here seem cold!
AB: (laughter) It's true. This year I was covered up.


CB: How did you end up working on Maya's Farm? 
AB: I was burnt out and didn't want to work in a kitchen any more. I started growing herbs in my kitchen and I met Maya. Her vegetables tasted so much better than others because you could taste how much she loves them. So I started helping and was at the Downtown Public Market and I thought, "there's no food...." Then the next thing I know I have a small café at the market. (laughter).


CB: Have you worked in restaurants before? 
AB: Oh yes, I had a restaurant in Spain. I had many partners and it was bad. Now I know I will be very tired but at least I don't have business partners.


CB: How did you end up on Grand Avenue
AB: I was in another part of town, and people at the market asked me if I would have a restaurant and I said, "No, no, no, no." Then one day I woke up and thought about a restaurant. I looked on Craigslist and then I saw the place and I was like, "Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment